Why I Started SnM Labs

Layer8

Administrator
Staff member
I started SnM Labs because my own home network kept growing far beyond the usual “router, Wi-Fi, and a couple computers” setup.

It started simple enough. Basic consumer networking gear, a few devices, and the usual home setup. Over time, I wanted to understand more about how real networks were built and managed, so I started replacing the basic stuff with enterprise hardware and building things out properly.

That meant Cisco routers and switches, VLANs, voice, servers, monitoring, firewalls, DNS, Active Directory, Linux, virtualization, and eventually a network that looks a lot more like a small business environment than a typical home network.

None of it came without headaches.

There were bad configs, weird routing problems, firmware issues, hardware that refused to cooperate, licensing headaches, SIP problems, boot failures, broken installs, and plenty of moments where fixing one thing somehow created three more problems.

But that was also the point.

Most of what I learned came from actually building it, breaking it, figuring out why it broke, and putting it back together again. Reading documentation helps, but there is a big difference between reading about a VLAN, firewall rule, or routing problem and having one sitting in front of you that you actually have to fix.

That is why I started this forum.

SnM Labs is a place to talk about home labs, networking, cybersecurity, servers, enterprise hardware, Linux, Windows, cloud systems, and whatever else people are experimenting with.

You do not need a rack full of equipment to participate. Everyone starts somewhere.

If you are building something, learning something, troubleshooting something, or just curious how other people are doing it, jump in.
 
Back
Top